Monday, March 7, 2011

On The Menu: Humble Pie ....

Stories have been handed down for generations as a way of capturing history. First-hand accounts of events were then recorded in print, followed by radio, movies and television as a way of sharing the news.


In our tech savvy times, we have the intranet to combine both official news stations and individual accounts or 'story' sites (such this one), putting the world at our fingertips creating an instantaneous resource for information. And, sometimes we use unknowingly use inaccurate sources as a resource ... as was the case with last Monday's blog.  


When brainstorming for last week's post, I wanted to tie in the 1982 movie, Diner, with the Academy Awards. I checked IMDb, and sure enough, it had been nominated for an Oscar in 1983 for Best Screenplay. Bingo! There was my tie-in. 


I "Googled" to find out which diner had been used for the interior movie scenes. The first search result list came back with the Bendix. I'd been to the Bendix, so I considered the topic for the week's blogs done. 


While the Bendix has had supporting roles in many commercials and a couple of movies, thanks to Larry at Diner Hotline for providing the correct info. It was actually Baltimore's Hollywood Diner. (I know for sure because I Googled it ... again!) 


The Hollywood is now run by the Crema Coffee Company. They list the Hollywood's other movie credits (Sleepless in Seattle, Enemy of the State and more) and cite the book 'Hometown Diners' as its source. It is a beautifully photographed book by Robert O'Dell that I have in my personal library.


So, note to self:

  • double check sources 
  • brush up on my diner traits.
After all, are a Masters diner and a Mountain View even similar?  I see a good old-fashion term paper in my future! Hmm, I wonder ... maybe there's a diner app for that??!

1 comment: