The Worcester Lunch Car Company may have been founded in 1906 by Philip Duprey, but it is carpenter Charlie Gemme's name that is tied to the Worcester Diner.
Between 1907 and1961, the company built over six hundred and fifty diners. Over the years, the style of the diners changed with the times ... from a barrel roof, beautiful woodwork to a more streamlined, modern look. Worcester diners are always numbered and in many cases, a Worcester had porcelain enamel panels on the outside which featured the diner's name, often starting with "Miss" ... an early marketing ploy to attract women to the diners? Hmmm.
|Miss Worcester Diner in the early 1990s|
photo by Paula J. Walsh
Still located at 300 Southbridge Street, the Miss Worcester is owned by Kim Kniskern.